Ponder Environmental Reduces Invoice Processing Time by 99 Percent While Becoming More Responsive, Safer, and Connected with GeoforceView Our Case Studies
GPS trackers are devices that use the Global Positioning System (GPS) to determine the precise location of an object, such as a containers. These devices can offer two different types of connectivity: cellular or satellite. Utilizing one or the other varies based on whether your assets will remain within cellular range or will be in more remote locations.
Tracking containers with GPS asset tracking involves using specialized GPS tracking devices attached to the containers.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to track containers using GPS asset tracking:
1. Select Suitable GPS Tracking Devices: Choose GPS tracking devices designed for asset tracking and suitable for container use. Consider factors such as battery life, size, durability, communication capabilities (cellular, satellite), whether the device is designed for indoor or outdoor use, also if the device can handle your industry. There’s a big difference between a device that can simply be outside and one that is designed to handle extreme weather and impact.
2. Install GPS Tracking Devices: Attach or install the GPS tracking devices on the exterior of the container. If utilizing a satellite device, ensure it has full visibility to the sky. Cellular devices may need less exposure to the sky, but you should ensure that the device is able to communicate with nearby cellular towers.
3. Activate and Configure Devices: Power on the GPS tracking devices and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to activate and configure them. This usually involves setting up communication preferences (cellular or satellite), reporting intervals, geofencing parameters, and other settings.
4. Establish Communication: If the GPS devices use cellular or satellite communication, ensure they have a reliable and consistent connection to transmit tracking data. Cellular devices require access to cellular networks, while satellite devices can work in remote areas without cellular coverage. Geoforce offers a cellular device with satellite fallback to maintain visibility if your equipment is moved between these environments. Be sure to talk to one of our associates if you need help determining what device would fit your needs best.
5. Monitoring and Tracking Platform: With Geoforce, you can access our software platform to monitor and manage your tracked containers.
6. Map Integration and Geofencing: Typically, your next step is to integrate the GPS tracking platform with mapping services to visualize the location of your containers on a map. With Geoforce, this is standard for our software and does not need to be set up independently. Don’t forget to create geofences—virtual boundaries on the map—and receive notifications when containers enter or exit these predefined areas.
7. Tracking and Notifications: Monitor your containers regularly using the tracking platform. You should be able to see their current locations, movement history, speed, and other relevant data. Set up notifications or alerts for specific events, such as entering or leaving certain zones, excessive speed, or unexpected movement.
8. Data Analysis and Reporting: Utilize the tracking platform’s data analysis and reporting features to gain insights into your containers’ movement patterns, usage, and efficiency. Generate reports that can help you optimize routes, plan maintenance, and enhance overall logistics.
9. Security and Recovery: In the unfortunate event of theft or unauthorized movement, GPS tracking devices can help you locate and recover stolen containers. Work closely with law enforcement and security teams to ensure a swift response if such a situation arises.
10. Regular Maintenance: With typical GPS tracking devices, routine battery maintenance is required to ensure the communication status of the devices is consistent. However, Geoforce prides itself as a no-maintenance solution, as batteries don’t need to be replaced and last up to ten years (depending on the device). Learn about the ROI on extended battery life for GPS trackers.
Following these steps, you can effectively implement GPS asset tracking to monitor and manage your containers’ locations and movements, improving operational efficiency and asset management. But you don’t have to go it alone. Talk to one of our team members and learn what device would best fit your needs, how to get started, and how tracking your devices can help your company boost effectiveness and efficiency.
Learn more about how Geoforce can specifically help you and your company with GPS asset tracking by scheduling a meeting with one of our experts.